Thursday, April 06, 2006

Penn-Jersey Observations
By Ernest Saxton
DCN Sept. 12, 1962

During the past few weeks, I have received numerous letters from numerous drum corps fans in this area telling me that they are in full agreement with my article in the July 11, 1962 edition of the DRUM CORPS NEWS, which was in regard to the lowly condition of drum corps in the Pennsylvania and South Jersey area due to some of the directors of the small corps in this area.

I have also received letters from people who totally disagree with my points of outlook and told me so in no uncertain terms.There was only one thing about these letters that prevents the mentioning of them in my column and that is the fact that they were not signed. So I have taken it for granted that those who did not sign their letters have no real belief in what they were saying.

I would appreciate it if in the future, when you disagree with what I have to say, that you sign your name to the letters.

HERE, THERE AND EVERYWHERE:
Rumor has it that a new and powerful junior drum corps will spring up in the Bayonne, N.J. area next season with members from the old St. Vinnie's corps forming the nucleus... Selden Cadets doing a real nice job in recent competitions beating such corps as Audubon, Woodsiders, Loretto and Bracken just to name a few....still moving up the drum corps success ladder are the Vagabonds of Haddon Heights, N.J., a great drum line combined with horn power make for a nice show..... Bracken Cavaliers are having their share of troubles but are taking a couple of weeks off to rebuild their show ......... very sorry to hear about the passing away of Mrs. Robert Manhardt, wife of Drum Corps World writer, Bob Mannhardt. My deepest sympathy to Bob and his family. .... and once again, I am forced to sit at home while everyone else goes to Nationals, WORK, WORK, WORK..... and in recent weeks it has been my pleasure to meet such people as Joe Capone (Pittsburgh Rockets), Jerry Dreva (Drum Corps News), and many others whose names have slipped my mind.... congrads to Chicago and the Reading Buccaneers on their victories at VFW Nationals...... and real nice corps from down Baltimore way is the "Starlighters", only their first year of competition and already they are showing the signs of being tops in a few years, dual majorettes take lessons from Arthur Murray.... Harriet Girton, former member of the Bracken Cavaliers, will be tip-toeing down the aisle on September 1st.
I will see you around,


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home