Thursday, April 13, 2006

Letters to the Editor



DCN September 12, 1962 issue

Dear Mr. Cole,
I received the Drum Corps News this morning and proceeded to read your article about Mission Drums - first with curiosity, then with mounting interest, and finally, with absolute amazement! Your opinions were so completely like mine, that we might be twins! be twins!

Wasn't Archie great? Their music is so fabulous that one hardly notices their M&M mistakes. When the announcer gave the 2nd place score, I confidently wrote it into Archie's box and sat stunned when it was the Skyliners who were "Chosen" for that position. I'm still shaking my head!

The Yankee Rebels impressed me for the second time in two weeks and became my third favorite corps this year. I was surprised that you didn't mention Wild Bill Hooten's coming out of "retirement" to lead his men to a big win. I still smile broadly when I think of his dramatics that night. I bow on my knees to him for what he's done for my Number 1 corps, the fabulous Interstatesmen - but I don't admire him for thinking his Rebels couldn't do it without him that night! I think it was an insult to their very capable Major but that's just another opinion. Did you see him throw his gloves down before the judges?

And how about Hawthorne - I would just be repeating what you wrote! It's the once-a-year D.C. fans who get all excited upon hearing the words "the Hawthorne Caballeros". We avid once-a-week fans just sit back and watch the repeat performance with respect but little interest.

I sincerely hope you've seen the most improved corps in the country - the Interstatesmen. If you haven't, Mr. Cole, and when you do, take note of our drummers and let me know what you think, will you?

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Wojtaszek
Adams, Mass.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home